Thursday, June 26, 2014

Don't Let Your Perfectionism Get in the Way of Your Progress

The right words from the right people have the power to inspire us... challenge us to risk and grow. 

At the beginning of 2014 a valued Twitter colleague, Rosa Isiah (@RosaIsiah), responded to an inspire-challenge from speaker and author Tom Hierck (@thierck) to begin blogging. Rosa responded and in her first blog "tagged" me to begin to blog as well. This invitation sat with me for half of 2014 - dormant. Beginning is difficult... in the beginning you are a "non-expert."
The work will not be perfect; there will need to be learning, growing, stretching, and sustaining.
It's surprising we begin anything. 

When we find ourselves with a new challenge and assume the role of a non-beginner, a non-starter, we often don't get out of the blocks because we are afraid we won't measure up. But as Tom Hierck says in his TedxTalk "I am the Future," he is not perfect; he is still a work in progress. We are all "works in progress." How would our words and actions change if we viewed our students and each other with this growth mindset... if we saw each other as works in progress

A year after listening to Tom's "I am the Future" talk and 6 months after Rosa's challenge, the inspiration comes full circle. I realize part of my "non-starting" as a blogger was due to a fight with perfectionism. I need to see myself as a work in progress and begin where I am.

Who might you encourage today to take on a new challenge or continue the one they have started?
Encouragement matters.

What learning journey might you risk to begin or sustain today?
Don't let your perfectionism get in the way of your progress.
Educator Robert Eaker says, we must "Get started and then get better!"

I encourage you to watch Tom Hierck's TedxTalk "I am the Future':  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFNi0jKyTyU 

Thank you to Rosa and Tom!

And for your continued belief and encouragement, thank you to two members of my professional learning network who are much closer to home: mentor and husband, Tom Kline (@tklinetom), and dear friend and colleague, Nancy Rooker (@NancyRooker1).

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for your encouragement to keep growing and learning despite not being perfect. It is a good reminder to act, to risk, to move in spite of our fears. I just watched Tom Hierck's TedxTalk and was inspired by his message on the importance of relationship. It is a wonderful reminder of the impact we can have on others. Thanks for posting the link and for sharing your own vulnerability.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you were inspired by Tom Hierck's TedxTalk! His words on progress and perfectionism resonated and are now a part of me. I appreciate your unwavering encouragement, Nancy.

      Delete
  2. Thanks Lorinda. It has indeed come full circle as your words inspire me and other colleagues to always act with the best interest of students in mind. Kudos to you and I look forward to reading more. have a great day!

    ReplyDelete